Veils of Dawn
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the official Veils of Dawn forum

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Doom/Gothic Metal

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Kharhaz
Warrior poet
Kharhaz

Male
Number of posts : 336
Registration date : 2008-05-17

Doom/Gothic Metal Empty
PostSubject: Doom/Gothic Metal   Doom/Gothic Metal Icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2008 2:49 am

I don't think there's a point in opening one topic for every band, so I just opened this one (mostly for PoPo and me, cause we're tr00 g0ths) where you can all discuss doom/gothic music, metal or otherwise. If you don't like doom/gothic, gtfo :P

Bands to be discussed are the likes of what is considered gothic metal (Paradise Lost, Tristania, Theatre of Tragedy, The Sins of Thy Beloved, Moonspell, Tiamat), doom (early The Gathering, Draconian, early Anathema, My Dying Bride, Katatonia...), gothic rock (Siouxsie and the Banshees, Bauhaus, Sisters of Mercy, The Cure, The Mission...) and gothic pop (Xandria, Evanescence :P ).

Posers not allowed :P If your idea of gothic is Nightwish, Leaves' Eyes, Epica or After Forever, then leave, because those are symphonic metal, not gothic metal. affraid

Discuss.
Back to top Go down
Emily
Admin
Emily

Female
Number of posts : 588

Doom/Gothic Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doom/Gothic Metal   Doom/Gothic Metal Icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2008 4:08 am

Epica are so tr00. :P

j/k

Orphanage? Do they count?
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/veilsofdawn
Kharhaz
Warrior poet
Kharhaz

Male

Doom/Gothic Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doom/Gothic Metal   Doom/Gothic Metal Icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2008 5:44 am

Yes, of course they do. Any band that fits in the category, or that you feel belongs in the category, counts.
Back to top Go down
Emily
Admin
Emily

Female

Doom/Gothic Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doom/Gothic Metal   Doom/Gothic Metal Icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2008 5:51 am

Kharhaz wrote:
Any band that fits in the category, or that you feel belongs in the category, counts.

Epica are so gothic. :] :P
Back to top Go down
Kharhaz
Warrior poet
Kharhaz

Male

Doom/Gothic Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doom/Gothic Metal   Doom/Gothic Metal Icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2008 5:52 am

Why do you feel Epica are gothic?
Back to top Go down
Emily
Admin
Emily

Female

Doom/Gothic Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doom/Gothic Metal   Doom/Gothic Metal Icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2008 6:09 am

I was pretending to be a poser. :P
Back to top Go down
Kharhaz
Warrior poet
Kharhaz

Male

Doom/Gothic Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doom/Gothic Metal   Doom/Gothic Metal Icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2008 6:12 am

Well:

Spoiler:

Now stop SPAMming, Admin :P
Back to top Go down
Emily
Admin
Emily

Female

Doom/Gothic Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doom/Gothic Metal   Doom/Gothic Metal Icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2008 6:13 am

mmhmm No

Honestly though, I don't listen to many bands from these genres but I like Orphanage, Moonspell and Tristania.
Back to top Go down
Kharhaz
Warrior poet
Kharhaz

Male

Doom/Gothic Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doom/Gothic Metal   Doom/Gothic Metal Icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2008 6:16 am

I know it's a genre that attracts a lot of posership, but I can honestly say it's one of my favourite genres. Although doom pwns gothic most of the time.
Back to top Go down
melian
Admin
melian

Male
Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2008-06-23

Doom/Gothic Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doom/Gothic Metal   Doom/Gothic Metal Icon_minitimeTue Aug 12, 2008 2:53 am

Quote :
Although doom pwns gothic most of the time.

That's plain true. Although some doom metal bands get boring after a while, when the band keep doing the same trick, or there isn't any emotion/atmosphere in the music, and what doom is all about is setting a dark atmosphere.

By the way, do you really think Katatonia is doom metal? Despite the fact they've rather depressive lyrics/music it doesn't sound like doom. :/

And could you please explain to me what 'gothic metal' is exactly? :P

In my opinion it's like making simple music with catchy riffs, and trying to set a little bit of atmosphere with some synths.. But that's me. If you want to flame me, go ahead. :P

Quote :
Posers not allowed :P If your idea of gothic is Nightwish, Leaves' Eyes, Epica or After Forever, then leave, because those are symphonic metal, not gothic metal. affraid

Please kick Evanescence and Xandria out plx. :P

Last edited by melian on Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Kharhaz
Warrior poet
Kharhaz

Male

Doom/Gothic Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doom/Gothic Metal   Doom/Gothic Metal Icon_minitimeTue Aug 12, 2008 3:55 am

*breathes in*

melian wrote:

That's plain true. Although some doom metal bands get boring after a while, when the band keep doing the same trick, or there isn't any emotion/atmosphere in the music, and what doom is all about is setting a dark atmosphere.
Tru dat.

melian wrote:

By the way, do you really think Katatonia is doom metal? Despite the fact they've rather depressive lyrics/music it doesn't sound like doom. :/
Well, I tried to label the bands objectively, so I used the definitions from The Metal Archives. Honestly, I don't know the band well enough to judge.

melian wrote:

And could you please explain to me what 'gothic metal' is exactly? :P
Not rly :P But I can explain to you what I feel gothic metal is. Gothic metal a form of metal that sets an atmosphere, just like doom, but that isn't necessarily always so "deep". It borrows some things from gothic rock (the origins) and uses some goth symbology. I think it reflects most of the times on the lyrics, but also on the sound.

For example, The Gathering's Mandylion is considered doom, because of the atmosphere, but it's nowhere near gothic. Then, you can take bands like Theatre of Tragedy, or Tristania, that also set a powerful atmosphere, but aren't necessarily so "doom-like".

"I close your eyes with my mouth, now you don't see ANYTHIIIING" < awesome vocals, amazing power and very good atmosphere, with guitar solos that make you want to cry. For me, doom metal.

"Beyond the Veil" < three kinds of vocals, a great atmosphere, heavy atmospheric choirs (heavy in the sense that they're more profound than most usual sympho bands like Nightwish or Epica), also some guitars, but not necessarily doom. For me, gothic metal.

melian wrote:

In my opinion it's like making simple music with catchy riffs, and trying to set a little bit of atmosphere with some synths.. But that's me. If you want to flame me, go ahead. :P
I understand what you mea, also, most of the music that is considered Gothic Metal by mainstream is actually doom. And I agree that Gothic Metal (as wel as sympho metal) set a background for much discussion and unfair labelling of bands. And for this, I call Epica, Within Temptation, Xandria, etc that are usually called Gothic Metal, whereas I feel they lack the right to be called such.

And still on that topic...

melian wrote:

Please kick Evanescence and Xandria out plx. :P
...personally, I dislike Evanescence although I did like them when I was 12/13, but that's another story :P ANYWAY! What I mean to say is, although I don't like the band, and although I don't find them metal at all, I do recognize they have a gothic like atmosphere. The lyrics, some choirs, the vocals (even though I think Amy's voice is foul), etc.

Same for Xandria. I don't think they're metal at all, and over half their songs are cheesy and very bad :P But a select few are nice, Lisa's voice is indeed special (although for a long time I didn't think it was) and some songs have a "gothic" atmosphere.

Now, I call them gothic pop, because they're not metal, and they're not "the gothic rock" as it is usually known. But in their own way, they have some ties with the genre. At least in the atmosphere.

And in the end, a band can only be labbeled by it's own name, and that depicts their vision of how they interpret music.

*breathes out and dais*
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Doom/Gothic Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doom/Gothic Metal   Doom/Gothic Metal Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Doom/Gothic Metal
Page 1 of 1